Monday, November 3, 2008

Wow!

K, my thoughts are totally scrambled right now but I am seriously so amazed. I like to read the news on a daily basis. Tonight as I was checking, I went to KSL ( in Salt Lake) and a story just posted 2 hours ago. A commercial by the "Courage Campaign" in California. I couldn't believe it. It shows two supposed missionaries knocking on a lesbian couples home. They tell them "We are here to take your rights away" They proceed to ransack the home taking their wedding rings and searching for the marriage certificate and rip it up. As they are leaving, one looks at the other and says "that was too easy, what should we ban next?". Wow. Two hours later there are almost 300 comments. Member and non-members alike. VERY HEATED. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. We live in a wonderful land where we enjoy many of these freedoms. Of course it hurts to see our church displayed in such a hateful way. I was reading Eli's missionary scriptures (they are marked and he has wonderful inserts.)
There was one insert where it was about the Apostacy. (Sorry, there isn't a listed author, but I will find out.) I wish I could post the whole thing. It would take forever and be SO long. So I'll skip around a bit. It begins by saying, " Apostacy has existed from the beginning, as man strays from the narrow path, rejects prophets, revelation, and commandments, loses grasp of the iron rod, or once having obtained the fruit of the tree of life feels shame or embarrassment from worldly ridicule, and departs therefrom. The Lord's dealings with men have been designed to keep the faithful from apostacy and to encourage those who do not have the fullness of truth to accept the light and enjoy the blessings of obedience."
Just like in Christs time, He established His church on earth. When he died, the apostles where shortly killed one by one after. Therefore, bishops were the ones left. Some took parts and pieces of the truth and its wasn't whole anymore.
Today we have the truth. It was been restored to earth. What a blessing as members of Christs church today! We have a prophet who guides us, and revelation taylored to our needs today! In the scriptures we are warned that some will fall away "by the craftiness of the devil". So we knew this was coming right? RIGHT. By I can't believe how many members I read about say, "I feel this is wrong", "I disagree with Pres. Monson", "The church shouldn't be spending money fighting this...." etc. you get my point. So to see members falling away so quickly on this issue shocked me. Yes, we are human and make mistakes. How strong are our testimonies? There were a few that probably didn't like the the Proclamation on the Family. But isn't that the same exact thing we are standing up for? Marriage between a man and woman? Same thing the church has always stood up for?
I don't know if this makes any sense to you, but we see the pride cycle in scriptures and other great examples that could apply here. I don't know why this one popped out at me.
So I guess in my opinion, members are taking bits and pieces of the gospel and applying it. Choosing what sounds good, and their own interpretation. I am probably so nieve (sp?) to how faithful members are today. I just think in my own little world every member is a worthy faithful one! Yes, these are the things predicted about before the Savior comes again I just pray that I will be able to teach by the spirit in my own home.
One more thought. "Never before on the face of this earth have the forces of evil and the forces of food been as well organized....the final outcome is certain-The forces of fighteousness will win, but what remains to be seen is where each of us will stand.....Great battles can make great heros and heroines" (In his steps, Address to Educational System Personnel Anaheim, CA 8 Feb. 1987) *note* its kind of hard to read some of his writing, but this is what it looks like it said :)

Sorry I rambled on, but I couldn't describe the feeling I had when I was reading members comments on this issue. What do you think? (to the masses who read our blog? :) )

4 comments:

Linda said...

Yea, that makes me really sad that we are protrayed in that way. It is getting harder and harder for people to understand our views as things that we don't belive in become more and more accectable. All we can do is stand firm and always respect other people even if we don't respect their views and hope that they will do the same for us.

The Leithead Family said...

It is easy to get sucked up in "worldly views". It is easy to say, "Live and let live" and "I can't force everyone to think like I do" and "I don't want people to think I don't like them because they make different choices than I do". But the fact is...I believe in Christ. And just because the rest of the world doesn't, his teachings are still true and correct. That won't change no matter what the world accepts to be okay. Therefore, when I vote, I will vote for the person I think has the point of view that matches mine the best. I won't apologize that I don't think gay people should be allowed to be legally married. I think it is wrong. I will not apologize that I don't think abortion should be legal. I think it is wrong. etc. I do not hate gay people or people who see things differently than me. But I DO have to stand up for what I believe in.

Jackie said...

Hey Kristin, I agree with everything you just typed. I only wish I could put it all together as well as you did. I ofter wonder the same thing. I think alot of the members of the church who are upset about this are the ones who have family members who are gay. I don't personally know of anyone in my family, but I do know people who are. I don't hate then at all. I actually love them. I disagree with the choices they are making and I feel bad for the suffering that they are going through. After working at Skywest for 5 years I came to meet alot of people who are gay. I have to say that not one of them were truly happy. I really don't think that making marriage "legal" is going to make them "happy". I personally look at it as a struggle similar to being addicted to drugs or other things that we can pull us away from the are Heavenly Father. Isn't this life all about trials and being tested and to see how we handle them. Of course Satan wants to see how many of us he can get to think this way.

I sure hope that we all have the kind of faith that we need to hold to the teachings. It isn't going to happen in one day. All these things that keep happeing over time are one day going to hit us all in the face if we aren't prepared.

Sorry Kristin, I started to ramble quite a bit too. I have been bothered by how members of the church would question such a simple thing. It seems so simple.

Lana Brimhall said...

Your family is soo cute. I think that the girls are very cute. I love looking at other peoples blogs and seeing what everyone is up to. You all look well and happy. I hope that this finds you and your family happy. I hope to keep in touch more with people and friends this way. Love your blogs. Lana (Jolley) Brimhall