Thursday, June 25, 2009

Grandpa


We have been in Wyoming off and on for the last two weeks. The girls got to stay with grandma and aunt Fonda. They had a blast. I flew back on Monday with Eli. Monday also happened to be the day that Grandpa Wardell was having knee replacement surgery. The surgery went very well and in record time! The doctor loved his teeny knees :) The next time I spoke with my mom she said he was having trouble waking up. He did wake up and spoke to the nurse and grandma for a brief moment and that was the last time.

Grandpa passed this morning around 4 am. I was greatful that we were here. He was on several treatments including a respirator. We were told that as soon as that was gone he would pass pretty quickly. So we drove up and said our last goodbyes.


~Grandpa was a pretty amazing guy in my book. I have a lot of great memories with him and grandma. I loved spending time with him growing up.

~He taught a lot of us grandkids how to drive.....a stick :) The patience he had with me was amazing. I would try my hardest, because I never wanted to disappoint him. But, that was one thing that took a while to grasp the hang of it.

~Whenever we would spend the night, he would read bedtime stories out of this old book. His favorite was the fables. He always found a way to teach. Always.

~Every meal with grandpa always consisted of having the container of Tang. You couldn't set the table without it!

~His work ethic was amazing. He was always up early and coming in late. He taught that to my mom and she passed it to us. The importance of work is crucial. I loved being in the shop with him. (it smelled really good! :) )

~He was a very wise person.

~Double Bubble was very popular :) I also remember the Doublemint, Juicyfruit, and the kind of gum (I forgot the name of it, maybe Beechnut or something like that!) He always had some.

~A very early memory I have of him was hanging me upside down in the shower! It always made me laugh.

~One day he stopped by the house on his way through town. He was in a humerous mood. He was crackin jokes about food that was marked for "reduced for quick sale". I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. (Sorry grma!)

~Fossil hunting and weeny roasts. Need I say more?

~The room "checks". :) He would always casually walk back to the rooms and check their condition. Made me want to always have a clean room :)


There are many other memories I have of my grandpa. I loved him very much and always looked forward to their visits and the time spent with them. The last couple of years it has been harder living so far away, but I will always treasure these moments and memories.


Grandpa we will miss you so much and look forward to seeing you again. Till we meet again

10 comments:

blah said...

Kristin, so sorry to hear about your grandpa. I live in his ward and have great respect for him and your grandma. Your grandpa ALWAYS made it a point to chat with me where ever he saw me, in church or around town. Just a very thoughtful person!He will be missed!! May God bless you and your family durring this time.
Meredith Walker Winters

Stacey said...

Kristin, I am so sorry for your loss. He was a great man. I remember when I was a kid, living on Shoshone Ave, down from Monte and DeeDee live now, and he was there visiting your great great(?) uncle Henry Lynn. He was a very kind man. Please let your mom know I am thinking of her as well. Take care~

Aubrey said...

Just wanted you to know that we are thinking of your family during this hard time. I know you have tons of family around but let us know if we can be of any help. Take Care.

avisiontoremember said...

I am sorry to hear that. I hope that you are doing ok. If there is anything we can do let us know. Hope the hamburgers turned out good. Love you guys

Jaime said...

Kristin, I am so sorry to hear about your grandpa. It sounds like he was an amazing man. Hang in there and let me know if there is anything I can do. Take care.

Rach n Adam said...

Oh Kristin, I am so sorry to hear about your grandpa. Grandpa's are the best and so hard to lose! Sounds like he was a wonderful man!Our thoughts and prayers go out to your family! Take care and know that we miss you guys! :)

DAVID GREEN FAMILY said...

(this is jenninfer green)so sorry for your grandpa. take care

Mark & Shayla said...

So, sorry to hear about your grandpa, he sounds like he was really wonderful.

Lindsay said...

Oh Kristin, I am so sorry for your loss. I just wanted to let you know we are thinking of you and hope you are comforted at this hard time. Take care hope to see you around again soon.

Andrea said...

I am so sorry for your loss! It sounds like he was a great man! It is really wonderful that you have so many memories of him.